An estimated 30 million dogs and cats are killed for their meat every year in Asia, with around 10 million killed in Cambodia, Indonesia and Vietnam. In these countries, dog and cats are often stolen family pets or stray animals taken from the streets and rural communities.
Take the Pledge
“As a travel business who sends tourists to Southeast Asia every year, we care not only for the welfare of the people in the destinations our customers visit, but also the welfare of the animals in those destinations. This is why we are concerned by the plight of millions of dogs and cats, many of them stolen pets, that fall victim to the brutal dog and cat meat trade each year. Working with FOUR PAWS, we want to protect dogs and cats, ensure our customers are protected from the significant human health risks, and help influence an end to the trade. We stand united to protect millions of tourists, communities, and animals from the dangers of the dog and cat meat trade in Southeast Asia.”
Why join us?
The global traveller loves Southeast Asia and the tourism sector can be a force for good. Together we will engage policymakers and the governments of Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia to seek their support to end the dog and cat meat trade.
- Protect tourists from risk and exposure: Around 45% of rabies deaths occur in Asia. Protect your customers from the risk of contracting rabies (and other disease) by making them aware and supporting countries to achieve rabies free status. Protect tourists from witnessing distressing acts of animal cruelty.
- Protect and empower local communities: Protect people from being exploited by criminal gangs in times of desperation and poverty; prevent family pets from being stolen.
- Protect dogs and cats in Southeast Asia: An estimated 30 million animals become victims of the dog and cat meat trade each year. We all care about companion animals, and in fact 90% of tourists consider it was important that their tour operator takes animal welfare seriously.
How you can help
Whether you represent a tour operator, accommodation provider, airline, cruise company, travel agency, or travel association, there is a role you can play.
Take the pledge to protect tourists, local communities and millions of pets from the dangers of the dog and cat meat trade in Southeast Asia.
and engage with tourism trade associations, in-bound operators and national tourist boards for Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia.
your customers on the risks associated with exposure to the dog and cat meat trade and engage them in our work to #ProtectMillions.
the extra mile and become a corporate partner. FOUR PAWS is looking for strategic partnerships and to create unique engagement opportunities for your organisation. Contact us to find out more.
Tour operators & travel agencies: If you would like more information, please contact us at:
- Get more details about the campaign here!
- See our public petition calling for an end to the dog and cat meat trade.